Feel Better With Cleaner Teeth
How often should you get a dental cleaning?
For most people, a routine cleaning every six months should suffice. Nothing feels better than that fresh clean feeling only the dental hygienist can give you. Try as you may, you just can’t get your teeth clean like our dental hygienists can. Routine cleaning removes plaque, stains, and tartar from your teeth and will prevent cavities and gum disease from occurring. You will still need to floss each day and brush for two minutes, twice a day, and come see us every six months in order to keep those pearly whites in good shape.
What happens at a dental cleaning?
At a dental cleaning, you can expect the following:
- Dental Exam: If you haven’t been to the dentist in the past six months, you will most likely have to take a dental x-ray, so the dentist can examine your teeth and jaws. This is the best way for dentists to check if you have cavities, impacted teeth, etc. Afterward, the dentist will administer a physical examination of your teeth to check for swollen gums, rotting teeth, or any other concerns.
- Plaque and Tartar Removal: After the dentist completes the dental exam, they perform a deep cleaning by removing any plaque and tartar. Using a scaler, the dentist will scrape away any built up calculus deposits on the teeth, especially around the gum line. Don’t worry if there’s a little bleeding, it’s the result of a mild form of gum disease called gingivitis that can easily be treated with routine flossing and brushing.
- Professional Brushing: Using a grainy, fluoridated toothpaste, the dentist will then brush your teeth with an electric toothbrush. This will remove any remaining tartar and plaque.
- Professional Flossing: The dentist will give you a final flossing to make sure there is nothing left between the teeth. Your dentist might give you advice about problem spots that accumulate more plaque than usual and how to properly care for them.
- Rinsing: Finally, you will be given a cup of mouthwash to rinse out any residue from the cleaning. This will leave your mouth bacteria-free and minty fresh.
What is laser gum treatment?
Laser gum treatment is available to those who need it. It is a method that combats periodontal disease. It is also used with scaling or root planing (deep cleaning) for those who have excessive plaque and tartar buildup below the gum line. Once this is done and your gums have been restored to a healthy state, you will be able to start your twice a year routine dental cleaning to prevent that from ever happening again.
Does dental cleaning make teeth whiter?
At a dental cleaning, the dentist can get rid of unsightly tartar in hard-to-reach spots in your mouth, but a routine cleaning usually can’t make your teeth noticeably whiter. If you want a professional Mission Viejo teeth whitening treatment , you can make an appointment with our cosmetic dentist at New Generation Dentistry to eliminate deep stains and discoloration.
How can you prepare for a dental cleaning?
Preparing for a dental cleaning is a long-term plan. Many people think vigorous brushing and flossing the day before will make their dental cleaning easier, but one day of good dental care is hardly noticeable.
Our Mission Viejo dentists recommend properly brushing for two minutes after every meal or at least twice daily and flossing thoroughly every night. Otherwise, the plaque will harden into tartar which is extremely difficult to remove without professional help.
What you consume also affects your dental health. Your diet should include a variety of nutrient-rich foods to strengthen your teeth. If you want brighter teeth, it’s also important to limit food and drinks that stain the teeth like coffee or wine. Activities, like chewing tobacco and smoking cigarettes, can also be detrimental to oral health. The chemicals in these products increase the risk of periodontal disease and infection.
At New Generation Dentistry, we offer thorough teeth cleaning services in Mission Viejo. We understand how difficult it is to get away from a busy day, but it is important to have your teeth cleaned at least every six months. Book an appointment for a teeth cleaning today, and ensure that you have a healthy smile for many years.
Updated for 2018.